Forever Innocent - Deanna Roy I am going to say up front that I have mixed emotions about this book. There was just something missing in Forever Innocent and I just can’t put my finger on it. The writing was good. The story was good. I think my disconnect was with the “here” of the book and not so much the “then” of the book. Does that make sense? Okay, deep breath. I am diving in.

Corabelle and Gavin were together since before they could talk. They grew up together, grew in love together and had a baby together. Their baby lived only seven days and immediately after the funeral Gavin left never to be heard from till four years later.

Corabelle has lived the past four years in a grieving, unresponsive nonmoving state untill Gavin appears in one of her college classes. She is immediately thrown back to four years earlier and you start to see symptoms of panic attacks. Once Gavin talks to her he is hell bent on getting her back.

Yeah, about that…. I have said it before and I will say it again. I have issues with H that rather than stay and help their h through a horrendous time, take off and leave them high and dry. It has been a trend in many popular New Adult storylines. I think it is cowardly and I don’t find it at all attractive.

Having said that, it’s the “then” of Forever Innocent that touched me the most. I cried many tears. This writer really pulled me in during the birth, hospitalization and ultimate death of baby Fin. My heart broke for this young couple. It was touching and incredibly sad.

Where Gavin dealt with this by running away and using booze and hookers to cope, Corabelle just went numb, not living at all and not moving on. I really thought this would be addressed more, I think this is where my disconnect comes from. The now is a contradiction of courting and blame. The ending left me unsatisfied as well. There is no real cliffhanger but the author lets us know there will be more to come in a second book. Will I be reading the next book? Probably not. Was I moved by this book? Absolutley.

3 Stars
T~

*Given via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Expected publication: October 1st 2013