Slammed (Slammed, #1) - Colleen Hoover I have seen these books floating around for awhile now and many if not most of the people I follow on Goodreads and other book sites have all read them and given this series 4-5 stars ratings. So what’s a girl to do but hop to it. I didn’t read most of the reviews as I wanted this to be new and fresh for me. Therefore in that spirit I will only give you an overview and mostly my feelings on these books.

Slammed. Not what I expected at all. A story of healing, new experiences and young love. I had two perspectives when I read this, as a daughter and as a mother. As a daughter I understood Layken. Her anger, her passion and her pain. As a mother I felt her upset, insecurity and the understood.

Although Layken father is gone you are shown the love and character of him through Layken memories. You can understand the loss.

“I looked at our reflection in the mirror and felt like the luckiest girl in the world. I didn’t know of any other dad who had magic clips. I wore that clip in my hair every day for two months, and my mother never once mentioned it. Now that I look back on it, I realize he probably told her what I had done. But when I was five, I believed in his magic.”

Yes, Slammed is a young romance but it is so much more than that. It is a tool to teach and lessons to live by.

“You can’t run to another town, another place, another state. Whatever it is you’re running from—it goes with you.”

“There are three questions every woman should be able to answer yes to before she commits to a man. If you answer no to any of the three questions, run like “Does he treat you with respect at all times? That’s the first question. The second question is, if he is the exact same person twenty years from now that he is today, would you still want to marry him? And finally, does he inspire you to want to be a better person?”

You can get the gist from the cover write up and I am just gonna say….read it. These young people are smart, funny and loving. It’s nice to see that portrayed.

T~